I’ve got to start taking more pictures. This weekend was insane (fun but insane) and I have almost no pictures to show for it. Friday was my baby sister’s 8th birthday and after my brother and mother ended up having the same knee surgery only a week apart (my brother’s being the day of said sister’s party) it was up to me to throw it together last minute.
She is OBSESSED (or “insessed” as she would say…we’re working on that) with Sonic the Hedgehog so that’s the theme we went with. When I say last minute, I mean last minute. I had given my mom a list of ideas earlier this year so I had a slight inkling of some things we could do but I seriously put this party together DAY OF. Did I mention she invited 15 guests between the ages of 4 and 10?
This was one of the events I have practically no photos of, besides a few of her blowing out the candles on her Sonic photo image cake. I thought I would at least link to a few of the sources I used to put this party together, in case you ever need to throw together a Sonic the Hedgehog themed party (I sincerely hope you don’t, though. I don’t recommend the experience).
- One thing that was a huge hit was the Chaos Emerald Hunt. It’s very simple and requires almost no prep. All you need is a bag of fake gems, whichever ones strike your fancy I used the green ones shown here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/DDI-1215956-Decorative-Glass-Marbles-Asst-Colors/37901768
(I only bought one bag though, and that’s probably all you’ll need, so don’t freak out about the $40 economy pack!) If I’d had more time I probably would have tried to find some prettier, diamond shaped fake gems, but alas I had only one day.
Then all you do is hide them around your yard or house. Be sure to tell the kids what’s off limits and how many are hidden (which means you have to remember to count as you hide them). Whoever finds the most Chaos Emeralds wins.
- How Well Do You Know Your Sonic Characters? Game- This one might have been a little advanced for 6-8 year-olds. They lost interest in it half way through but it did kill some time. Basically you just fill in which character is what kind of animal. I gave a couple of hints as some of the guests weren’t quite as avid of fans as my sister is. And yes, there is an answer key, and yes it’s a FREE printable.
Here’s the link for that: http://www.thepartyanimal-blog.org/Downloads/How_Well_Do_You_Know_Sonic.pdf
She also has a lot of other great ideas for this theme.
- Pin the Tail on Tails- Sounds like what it is. Replace the donkey in the classic game with Miles Prower, aka Tails, and cut out copies of the tail for kids to pin on. Write the kid’s name on their tail so you know whose is whose.
Here’s the link: http://www.heidisrecipes.com/2011/02/sonic-tails.html
- Coloring Contest- This was probably the most popular activity (surprisingly) and it was also extremely easy. There were so many printable Sonic characters to choose from and since it only requires a printer, copy paper and black ink it’s probably the cheapest party entertainment you could ask for.
Here’s a link to one of the websites I printed from but there are lots more: http://fastseoguru.com/cartoon/printable-sonic-the-hedgehog-amy-rose-coloring-pages
Click around and find other characters.
- Finally, here’s a link to my Pin Board for the party. I wasn’t able to do a few of the ideas but if I had had more time there were some cute things I would have liked to do.
Besides all the things listed, I also set the table with blue, yellow, red and pink; each color representing a certain character (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy Rose). I tied yellow and blue balloons on my plant hangers on my porch to help guests find the house, popped popcorn and coated it in blue candy melts (I put those in treat bags and tied Air Heads and Tootsie Pops to the outside with blue curled ribbon and sent them home. Less mess for me to worry about!) and made an easy red punch and printed off a label that said Knuckles’ Knock Out Punch with a Google Image of the Knuckles character (you can see an example on my Pinterest Board).
The crazy weekend continued with more crazy fun but more on that tomorrow. In the mean time, have you ever thrown together a last minute party? Got any tips? Leave a comment.